Since 62 years, Sarens has established itself as a reference, not just as a technology and innovative solution provider for the crane rental and engineered transport industry, but also as an organization that 'cares'. Our corporate social responsibility initiatives aim to make a difference in the communities in which we operate worldwide and we are actively involved in reducing our carbon footprint and ensuring sustainable and secure growth.
In 2017, continuing with our tradition of giving back to the society, along with our existing CSR activities, we took up various new projects and initiatives to give back to the society. Below is a select list of the many organizations, people and projects Sarens has sponsored, donated to, or otherwise supported in 2017.
Afrodidact, an organization supporting artistic endeavors for African childrenThe Netherlands
The Netherlands division supports various local community initiatives throughout the region, either by sponsoring or by participating in the organisation. They have allocated special budgets for this. They also have active relations with schools and universities and provide training and offer college students internships to familiarise them with our industry.
For the fourth time Sarens joined the charity rideGo classic cycle tour. Together with our clients, Sarens cycled 115 km. All returns were used for Leontien Foundation. Since the last two years Sarens and our clients - Deme-Group, Ballast Nedam, Heijmans, and Van Hattum participated in Erasmus MC - Tour de Rotterdam. It is a heartwarming cycle tour of hospital Erasmus MC, the proceeds of which go to the research for Multiple Sceloris (MS). All the other sponsoring and participating activities for 2017 are:
- Tennisclub Tc Bergambacht
- Alpe D'huzes
- Forteck Foundation Youth Sports Fund
- Marathon Of Rotterdam
- Dada Run For Value
- Sponsoring Seizoen 2017-2018
- Crayestein Golf Company
- De Haagse Hogeschool
- STC Rotterdam
- Da Vinci College
- Sectorinstituut Transport & Logistiek
- Hogeschool Avans Breda
The North American division supports many initiatives each year to demonstrate their commitment to the community. These initiatives include environmental sustainability projects, health promotion, social welfare initiatives and many others. Some specific examples include:
- Boyle Street Services. We made a donation towards a bus that goes around in the winter and provides food and shelter to those who are sleeping outside. It also transports people to a shelter downtown.
- KBR Charity Golf. The total raised by this event was $600,000, which went to worthy local and national nonprofits that align with KBR's charitable focus areas of education and health.
- Fluor Cares/Golf for Greater Houston. Sarens was the main sponsor this year. Total raised by this event was $300,000 for local Houston charities like The Monarch School, Big Love Cancer Care, and Child Advocates.
- Women 2 Warrior. Woman2Warrior Easter Seals fundraiser raised over $60,000 to provide specialized mobility equipment for children and adults with disabilities and medical conditions, recreational opportunities at Easter Seals Camp Horizon, and a residential program at Easter Seals McQueen Residence for 9 adults with physical disabilities.
Sarens in Middle East has participated in various community-related initiatives including:
- Labour Day / Long Term Service Award
- Blood donation
- Beach cleanup
- Bahrain Marathon Relay
- Al Sanabel Orphanage Birthday Celebration
- Walk for Diabetics
Sarens in South Africa is involved with local initiatives, including the Sarens Edenvale Marathon, which supports disadvantaged and disabled children. The Group also sponsors education and school improvement programmes in disadvantaged communities.
Each year Sarens in India organizes blood donation camp and contributes funds towards the local orphanages. Around Christmas employees are encouraged to donate warm clothes.
Whenever Sarens is awarded a contract in the Australian region, our teams try to create job opportunities for local citizens. A combination of local crew combined with our core crew works well on the project sites.
Green Initiatives in Sarens
Belgium: In 2017, Sarens started a new waste management system, the cool and useful recycler bins, named 'Tulip'. The Tulips were placed at different locations at the HQ and the SHEQ team sent out regular communications informing and encouraging the colleagues in the HQ to participate in the waste management activities. The 'Tulip' is a compact office bin, specially designed to sort the waste. Employees, visitors, and customers participated in Sarens' sustainable waste policy. Employees were also encouraged touse old paper as scratch paper as much as possible and use the porcelain mugs or start with a plastic cup and reuse it all day long.
India: The SHEQ team in India undertakes green initiatives on a regular basis. They send out mailers and frequent intervals informing the employees to work towards a green and clean surroundings. The India office celebrated World Environment Day on 5th June to spread awareness about the environment among employees and encourage them to participate in the initiatives. We recently celebrated the World Environment day. The employees in India decided to work towards a target to reduce the energy consumption by 5%.
Canada: The Canada division undertook the following green initiatives in 2017:
- A bottle and can recycling program partnership with Youth Empowerment Support Services, a local organization that provides support and resources for at-risk youth in Edmonton. This program helps ensure that all of our bottles and cans are recycled and that the organization receives funding from the deposit on the beverage containers.
- The office is equipped with lights that automatically shut off after a period where there is no motion in the room. This helps save power and ensures that we do not rely on people to turn lights off.
- The employees have switched from the use of bottled water with water coolers to the use of a filtration system used with the municipal water supply.