Spotlight: Sarens Buildwell Nigeria
How two companies joined forces to serve the growing
How two companies joined forces to serve the growing African market
December 2016: When Sarens and Buildwell Plants and Equipment Industries Limited (BPEI) joined forces in 2011 to establish Sarens Buildwell Nigeria, their goal was to better serve the African market.
"If you are looking to develop your activities in West Africa, Nigeria is the first market to be considered. It is the giant of Africa," says BPEI Managing Director and Chairman, Riad Abou Habib.
The joint venture was a natural fit for Sarens, a family-owned business since 1930, and BPEI, a 100% Nigerian company established in 1977.
Both companies brought considerable strength to the venture. Sarens was already established as a world leader in heavy lifting and specialized transport, with 100 subsidiaries in 60 countries. And BPEI, which had served the Nigerian market for decades, boasted five robust divisions, including Transport & Logistics, Civil & Construction, Supply and Paint, Freight Forwarding, and Customs Clearing.
Today, the Nigeria-based joint venture employs 300 people and serves neighboring countries, including Niger, Benin, Chad, and Cameroon. The company, strategically headquartered inOgun state, also has a land facility in Port Harcourt.
World-Class Services and Equipment
Sarens Buildwell Nigeria offers a variety of services, including:
- Door-to-door freight forwarding for EPC projects, including clearance and terminal charges (Lagos, Warri, Port Harcourt)
- Land transport for 10T to 350T loads, subject to road limitations
- Local transport by SPMT for up to 1500T
- Lifting and loading
- Installation of structural components, including structural building
- Installation of main equipment on foundation
The company also deploys a range of equipment across the region, all with tracking systems to monitor their movement in real time. This includes:
- Hydraulic cranes (40T-300T)
- Semi-modular hydraulic trailers (60T-120T)
- HMT from 5 lines (100T) to 20 lines (400T), for road transport
- SPMT from 40 to 60 lines (up to 1800T), for module/jackets and buoy loading/offloading
- Jacking/skidding equipment (150T and 400T) and jacking over 400T on demand by Sarskid Equipment
Expertise in a Growing Market
Sarens Buildwell Nigeria's strength is its in-depth understanding of the African business environment, especially within Nigeria and across West Africa.
This market is experiencing a steady rise in population and is expected to grow from 220 million to 450 million by 2050. As it expands, so does the need for industrial facilities, which opens up more opportunities for the heavy lifting and transport sector.
But there are other factors fueling this growth. Oil and gas, for example, are confirmed resources for the next thirty years. Moreover, Nigeria's federal government is in the process of privatizing oil and gas downstream industries, power supply, and other industrial sectors.
At this intersection of opportunities, Sarens Buildwell Nigeria has positioned itself as a one-stop service provider for all logistics and lifting services, catering specifically to the oil and gas, cement, and steel industries. The company has become a preferred provider thanks to its market expertise, reputation for strict safety standards, emphasis on staff training, and constant investment in equipment, resources, and innovations.
A Track Record of Success
"Sarens Buildwell Nigeria is successfully catering to clients with a complete range of services and is looking forward to a great year ahead, with a number of contracts in the pipeline," says Thierry Bloch, General Manager, Sarens Buildwell Nigeria.
Some of the reference projects executed by the Sarens Buildwell Nigeria team include:
- Load out of 1200T module (Awarded by Shell Nigeria for Daewoo)
- Offloading and loading 350T reels at the LADOL free zone
- Door-to-door service to foundation of 250 MVA gas turbine, including 450T turbine, 270T generator, 180T transformer, and 2,000 freight tons bulk, from Rotterdam to AFAM via the Onne port (Saipem Contracting Nigeria Limited and River State Government)
- Loading, transport, and offloading on structure for three CPF modules from Warri to Otumara Node for Domgas Project, including loading of three modules weighing 1280T, 770T and 700T respectively by 60 lines SPMT
- Transport and storage of 9.5m diameter reels weighing 300T, and a 6m diameter buoy weighing 150T
- Transport of cement mill elements 1400 km from Apapa Port to Sokoto, incident free
- Transport and erection of steel building for a steel factory plant in Sagamu, deploying a 10 axle-line SPMT, two each of 60T and 100T hydraulic cranes, and a 300T hydraulic crane
- Transport of a dredger from Lagos to Niamey, Niger involving mobilization of 20 Trucks (7 low beds and 13 flats)
In 2016, Sarens Buildwell Nigeria completed some noteworthy projects, including:
- Building industrial warehouses for steel factory facilities(Standard Metallurgical Company (SMC) Limited)
- Door-to-door freight forwarding of skids (Awarded by Entrepose DBN Group for SEPLAT Petroleum Development Company Plc)
- Lifting services during shut-down and rehabilitation for various units (LafargeHolcim)
- Transport of primary and secondary lime stone crusher, raw mill accessories, and machinery over the course of about 686 trips from Lagos to Sokoto (Sokoto Cement Plc)
- Transport of 496 units of bare pipes and CWC X62 and CWC X52 coated pipes over the course of 202 trips from Onne Port to Warri Chevron (GarmenPetroserve Nigeria Limited)
- Loading of two modules (one module and one twister) on barge in Onne, offloading, land transport by SPMT, and skid on foundation at Tunu(Saipem Contracting Nigeria Limited)
Sarens Buildwell Nigeria also serves several key clients, including:
- Nigerian Breweries
- Cummins West Africa
- China National Machinery & Equipment
- Cappa&D'Alberto Plc.
- Dangote Group
- Deutag Nigeria Ltd.
- Entrepose-Contracting / DelattreBezons (Nig) Ltd / Vinci Group
- MTN Nigeria Communications Ltd.
- Mantrac Nig. Ltd.
- Maersk Line
- Mobil Production Nigeria Unlimited
- Niger Dock
- Nestle Nigeria Plc.
- Nig. Security Printing & Minting
- Shell Petroleum Development Co. Ltd.
- Saipem Contracting Nig. Ltd.